Friday, June 12, 2009


Well, we are finding that gardening in Arizona is a bit different than in Idaho! But we are also learning that we can grow in smaller spaces. there are 3 tomato plants in each whiskey barrell (no, we didn't drink the whiskey first!). We only put two cucumber plants in the orangeish pot and one zuchini in the grey one. Next year I think we'll plant two zuchini! I know, I'm crazy! But none of our girls grow veggies so.....
We put the shade over them because the sun is so direct and was really drying them out. They have really flourished noticably since we covered them last weekend! At least the tomatoes have. The lovely depression in front is courtesy of Kira and Collin. They built a road and needed dirt to make it higher than the ground..... Should have taken a shot of the lovely road too!


I love how the cucumber is climbing the fence! Except for the parts that are poking out through the fence and into the desert! There are a lot of little cukes on there. Hopefully they won't break the vines.


I love how pretty zuchini blossoms are. If you look closely you can see two more zuchini almost ready to be picked. These are 'AZ zuchinis' - we want them to be 'ID zuchinis' so we are letting them grow bigger - for slicing. We did pick two last night and had stir fried zuchini and carrots and onions! So yummy! NEXT year, we are doing a 'square foot' garden and so we will grow carrots, onions, and radishes too! That will be fun! As you can see, we have rocky ground so everything will be above ground....

This is one of many tomatoes - but it was closest to the front so easiest to get a shot of. He's not very big yet! But I imagine he will taste fantastic! Unless, of course, the bunnies get him first!

Stupid bunnies......

3 comments:

  1. ok, you are making me really hungry for garden veggies, mmmmm. I love the pictures you take there in Arizona, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, YOUR 'GREEN THUMB' has moved there with you!! Good thing! your "garden" looks fun sis- and sooo much easier to weed!! I remember all the times when we came down you had your garden all weeded and things growing so nicely...and now, your NEW ARIZONA 'garden' is doing the same...only easier and Dell doesn't have to get out the tiller to go down the isles between the growing plants! YEA! I think it is neat that you still like to do the 'growing food thing'...another great thing now- you don't have to look at the prolific plants and think "dang it- I'm going to be canning for hours!!! Oh, and
    I feel the same way too, about the Zuchinni blossoms. They ARE beautiful...and the cookies and zuchinni bread that comes after...are even MORE popular!! yum!!! ( I still make your zuch bread recipe!!) Love that you share these things- it keeps us 'connected'!! Blogs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have your blog address, but Denise sent it to me and I'm glad she did!!!! I LOVE your blog! Now we can stay in touch better! Your garden looks fantastic! Arizona IS hard to garden in!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter