Friday, February 26, 2010

Old Friends - fun to remember!

Ya know, I think I love facebook.  Why? 
 Because it helped me hook up with my three best buds from highschool!  Brothers, if you will.....who were always there for me.  They were who cheered me when a boy broke my heart, they were there to give me a ride to visit friends in another town when mom said I could go if I could get a ride, they were there when I just needed to get away from home for awhile.  They were just there always for me!  Kenny, Max and Bill,... Bill, Max and Kenny,... Max, Kenny, and Bill...sometimes one wasn't able to help me but there were nearly always two!  I have such fond memories!  Like the trip from Spokane to Lewiston after a football game!  I was missing my girlfriend and they were going hunting!  So, they packed in a pesky 'sister' and away we went - three guys and me in an old pickup truck that barely fit 3 - THAT was cozy as it was!  Me?  I sat on laps....."move over Marlene, my leg is going to sleep!"  So I'd switch to the other non-driver until I heard "Move over Marlene" and I'd switch again.  Aww the memories!  And when they'd have to stop because.........well, I had to, OK? They were good about it, even if they did rib me some! 
We never dated, that would have been too weird! I mean, really?  Ewwww!  I loved them all three dearly...and have such a tender spot in my heart for them.
So, one found me....sorry guys, I don't remember for sure....but I think it was Kenny!  Then in short order, I had my three 'brothers' back!  It's been great!  We send something - once in a while - not often.  Or we just know that if we need someone, we were there! And we can see how each is doing - if they keep up on Facebook!  Sometimes they aren't so good!

Last Sunday, I get a message from Ken on FB "Max is in Tucson....call him!" and his phone number (They, like true brothers, lost my phone number!)  I didn't get the message until late Sunday so didn't call.  Then Monday and Tuesday were all crazy and Wednesday got worse and I didn't get him called.  Wednesday night, I find messages from Ken again AND now from Bill that I needed to call Max!  Ok, already!  So Thursday I called him.  He was leaving Friday AM (darn it) so we made arrangements to meet. 

My dear hubby had a procedure Thursday AM and wasn't feeling up to going anywhere so I went alone.  Max looked so good!  Haven't seen him since my dad passed away - wow, has it really been 26 years? He really wanted to meet my family and felt bad that he couldn't meet my husband.  I told him that my girls were here and I was sure we could find them. So I called Kim...yep, no big surprise here, she and Katie were at Target!  We decided to meet them at a restaurant close by for dinner.  It was so fun to show off two of my three beautiful girls and two of my four wonderful grandkids! Liam, my almost 7mo grandson, couldn't figure out who that guy was with grammy and where the heck was poppa?!?!  But Collin took to Max right away.  I felt bad that Heidi and her kids and Dellas couldn't be there but life happens, ya know? 

The evening ended too soon, Max had other plans with family, so I delivered him back to his son-in-law and went home.

I did take my camera (so there Heidi) but we were so busy visiting I didn't get any pics except this one:
 I'm not exactly sure who these 'old folks' are!  I'm pretty sure Max and I aren't that old!  But this is what was on my camera so here ya go!

I wish we had pictures from highschool.  We never took pictures back then!  We just lived our lives and had fun and figured our memories would hold us!  Yea, well, I don't know about Max, but I'd like to have pics from when we were young - the four of us..............
Instead we have to rely on our memories...and you know how that goes!

So those of you who complain because someone is always taking pictures.....thank them.  One day, YOUR memories will fade and pictures will help you remember!

Thanks, Kenny and Bill, for making sure I called Max before it was too late and he left town.  And if you get a chance to come this way, PLEASE don't loose my phone number! 
Friends are too precious.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, I remember too... These guys that 'hung around' for you! They were wonderful, weren't they? and you know....I have great memories of them too..and I remember how they were 'there for you'....and how they made you happy when you might not of felt that way if NOT for them... Friendships- old ones especially, are better then gold. I'm so happy that Max made it down there and that, once again, he was there when you needed a friend. Can't wait for Dell to meet him. Dell and Max would really get along great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read mom, I'm so glad you found them. I just think for all it's flaws Facebook is wonderful. :)

    Wish I could have been shopping at Target so I could go too. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember them too. Which one played "Born Free" on the piano? I was too little to remember much a picture might help me too. By the way, the little kid perspective I had then made you all old even back then. :) LOL
    Love ya, Mindy

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter